I purchased the Vortex Race 3 (Rac3) not long ago, but I was not entirely pleased with it. After much research, I purchased the WhiteFox from Input Club.
Initial impressions: I really like the materials, construction and build quality, colorway, Cherry MX Clear switches, and extra keycaps; the keycaps feel nice and I like that it has homing bumps on F and J; and the USB-C cable is awesome.
Initial frustrations: backspace is relocated to backslash, and I can’t get used to it a la the TrueFox layout; I thought this keyboard is backlit, but it is not; grave accent relocated to right side of number row next to the relocated backslash, neither of which is working for me; getting Homebrew installed was a little problematic but I got it figured out only to discover that I can’t get macros to work using KLL (no0b problems); and function keys don’t recognize from 16-24.
I relocated the keys to a standard layout with the exception of Esc being assigned to a function layer. I’m still having a hard time with backspace even in its new but standard location because it is a 1u key. I will try sticking with this keeb for a while and see how I feel about it later. For now, I would say it is on par with the Rac3 as each has its own merits and shortcomings.
My setup includes:
- Fn+2=Volume decrease
- Fn+3=Volume increase
- Fn+7=F7 (Run shell script 1)
- Fn+8=F8 (Run shell script 2)
- Fn+9=F9 (Run shell script 3)
- Fn+0=F10 (Run shell script 4)
- Fn+-=F11 (Show Notification Center)
- Fn+==F12 (Toggle Do Not Disturb)
- Esc=F1 (Run shell script 5)
- Delete=F2 (Run shell script 6)
- PageUp=F3 (Run shell script 7)
- PageDown= F4 (Run shell script 8)
- Fn+F1=F15 (Run shell script 9)
- Fn+C=F5 (Run shell script 10)
- Fn+V=F6 (Paste and Match Style shortcut)